17 January 2012

Today's Motto

It's MLK Day in America.  Martin Luther King Jnr. Day, named in honour of that wonderful activist for peaceful civil rights.  It's celebrated at around the day of his birthday each year.  Today I read this quote of his , which is exactly what I needed to read.  In fact ,if I was superstitious or spiritual, I might even think I was meant to read this quote and was pointed to it by some supernatural force…
FAITH IS TAKING THE FIRST STEP, 
EVEN WHEN YOU DON'T SEE THE WHOLE STAIRCASE
 photo courtesy of Wikipedia
I have just had coffee with my work buddies, LF and Cherry and I let myself fall into a slump about quitting a perfectly good job to chase my dream.  What the HELL am I doing?  Am I utterly mad?  As Dr Razzle pointed out to me yesterday, he would like to be an astronaut rather than an orthopaedic surgeon but he has to be responsible , before then pointing out how many journalists there already are in the world…  And by the time I finish, I will be 50.  Who is going to give me a job when I am 50?  This was demonstrated at the coffee shop when I asked the waiter if there were any jobs going.  He looked at Little Friend and asked her why she wanted a job. Well, it's not HER that wants a job - it's me!  When quizzed, the guy said it was usually younger people who wanted to do waitressing.  Younger?!?!  So, I obviously was looking haggard and for that matter, just because LF is little, doesn't mean she is young.  So, there we were being exposed to two types of discrimination in one conversation!  Cherry is hugging herself too because with my departure, she has now been promoted.  Oh lordy. Now I know how roadkill feels…  
Time to stop wallowing in pity and write some letters and write some stories and write, write, write and read, read, read and Get On With My Life!  One day, when I AM a successful journalist/writer, I will look back on this slightly scary, insecure time and be happy and grateful I did take the plunge  
PS: I ache all over from running too, so that is not helping much.  And yesterday I swam 50metres freestyle in the pool in 1m 23secs but when I got home, I checked the world record, to discover it was about 23 seconds, full stop, swum by Marleen Veldhuis. This is what she looks like underwater. I do not look like that…
I look more like this…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gotta love a dugong!
And we love you too, Jen. Chin up, shoulders back, chest out, deep breaths (no, not breasts). ONWARD AND UPWARD!!