26 May 2011

Shame, shame, shame

My dirty, dirty, filthy secret (until right now, obviously) is that I watch "Real Wives of... wherever".  Last night was episode one of the wives of Beverly Hills.  It's so awful that I can barely drag my eyes away from the screen.  I don't know what it is that makes me "enjoy" it.  Actually, I don't think I DO enjoy it. I think it's more the fascination with a lifestyle that seems so unrealistic, yet apparently exists in that faraway land called America.  It's hard to believe women really live like this.  Perhaps I'm drawn to watch it by some strange primeval anthropological urge?  I'm not the only one who is addicted to this crap either!  When I quiz my buddies LF and Cupcake, I find they are mad for it too, for similar reasons to mine.
Speaking of huge wealth, I just read about the death of billionaire recluse Huguette Clark in a hospital room in New York City where she had been living under an alias for 22 years.  Why is it that so many incredibly rich people are slightly bonkers?  Weren't the Rockefellers nuts?  Howard Hughes?  I wonder if Gina Reinhart, is kookoo.  She has just become the first woman to top the BRW's Rich List but after watching this little YouTube video, it seems she is a lunatic too, from a loving family, of course. 
The reality of life back here in Brisbane involves how to cook with raw pork belly after one has completed suturing it as part of a surgical assisting course. Mmmm, need to find a recipe for that for Cupcake, our surgical nurse assistant. 

1 comment:

Medical Librarian said...

I think the "Real Housewives" only exist in that magical place of Hollywoodized America, not the real America. I, too, enjoy watching, though. :)