17 February 2012

Can Chocolate Caramel Slice be burned?

The answer is…. YES!  I think I burned the caramel…  I didn't mean to!  It happened so fast.  However, I actually think it worked in my favour because it has made the caramel more chewy.  So, here is the recipe for that perennial favourite:
CHOCOLATE CARAMEL MACADAMIA SLICE
Makes 24 small pieces - or 12 monstrous slabs
1 cup plain flour
⅓ cup firmly packed brown sugar
¾ cup dessicated coconut
125g melted unsalted butter
40g butter, extra
395g can of sweetened condensed milk
2 tablespoons golden syrup
100g macadmia nuts, toasted (burnt a bit) and roughly chopped
200g dark chocolate broken into pieces (can also use milk chocolate if you prefer)

Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.  Grease and line 28cm x 18cm x 3cm deep slice pan with backing paper (or use the Tupperware silicone slice pan, which is perfect)
Combine flour, brown sugar and dessicated coconut in a bowl.
Add melted butter and stir until combined.
Press mixture into base of prepared cake pan.
Bake for 15 mins or until golden.  
Cool.
Nigella has just come on the telly!  How fortuitous…


Combine extra butter, condensed milk, golden syrup and macadamia nuts in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir until butter has melted and mixture is well combined.  Pour over cooled base.  Bake for 20 minutes (NOT until it is a little bit black in spots on top!!)
Cool.  

Place chocolate into a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, taking care that base does not touch the water.  Stir unti smooth.  Spread over slice.  Stand at room temperature until just set (I put it into the 'fridge).  Cut into squares and… PIG OUT!!
Courtesy of mindfood.com

I do NOT look like Nigella when I cook.  I am not smiling and licking my fingers but instead, am rushing backwards and forwards between the recipe and my "creation" and then trying to find my glasses and then looking for a utensil.  Needless to say, I am not a natural in the kitchen, though the chocolate caramel slice is pretty flame-proof.   Instead of success in the kitchen, I am counting on success in my Den where I have been today, writing another story for Women's Running Australia after they asked me for another contribution.  Now I have performance anxiety and am trying to relax and not look at the 695 words I have written with utter dismay.  I will look again in the morning, when I am fresh.  Right now, it looks like utter crap.

No comments: