22 April 2012

Mein gott!  Vot haz happened to Blogger?  Where is my template?  Where are all my posts?  How do I navigate around this page?  Sunday afternoon and I don't think I am prepared for all this ... this .... change and upheaval!  I wonder what will happen when I press "publish"?  What will my blog look like?  Well, I guess the best thing to do is just Get On With It then and see what happens, right?  So, I am having the most wonderfully joyous Sunday, reading FUN STUFF (as opposed to uni textbooks and assignment documentation).  My brother has just returned from Coachella in the US and brought me The New York Times (18 April edition) and two Sunset magazines, a favourite!  So that, together with this weekend's The Australian is sure to keep me busy for hours.  If only I had hours....  I DO have hours but where do they go? 
It seems my "problem" with The Sands of Time boils down to my choice of activities.  This morning I ran 20km with my running buddies.  Why I did that crazy thing is beyond me because I am in a world of hurt this afternoon.  It was pretty.... and I burned 1437 calories, but that's about it.  This afternoon I whipped up a batch of Anzac biscuits to chub up my gorgeous husband and also to "bribe" my co-workers.  I melted an entire slab of butter for these...  
We've been sitting out the back listening to the 14 year-old drum kit-playing girl screaming at her parents to "get out of her life" and secretly hugging ourselves that we only have a dog and a cat to contend with - oh and a rat.  One lonely, macadamia-nut eating rat that lives in the wall of our bedroom.  Spud has ventured to Bunnings and has set a trap...
He set the trap five days ago and it is still empty.  I think I can hear the tiny sound of rat laughter at 2am, while it is chewing nuts outside our bedroom window. Speaking of rodents, my friend alerted me to this hilarious story. I do so laugh a goofy news piece....

I've been learning quite a lot more about journalism this week.  Namely about "above the fold" and "below the fold" and I have put it into practice with the fold of my New York Times.  Apparently, "below the fold" is not where you put the really gritty, important news because of the unlikeliness of the reader unfolding the 'paper to read it.  It works for websites too but I don't recall the exact number of type centimetres before there is loss of interest. I need to know that.  (there is restful piano music and singing now coming from the She-Devil's house...  calm is restored).  I am So Happy to have both my Ethics and Theories of Journalism oral presentations done and dusted.  What a relief!!  I so want to do really, really, really well but feel that I've yet to get the gist of Theories.  Yesterday, while on another De-Cluttering Quest, I came upon a box with my report cards, all the way back to 6th grade!  It made entirely sad reading.  I bawled my eyes out at the waste of my education.  I don't think I knowingly wasted it;  I just didn't "get it" - what I needed to do, you know?  It seems the best grade I EVER got was for German in Year 7, which I never studied again.  Meanwhile, French (my first language), together with Maths and English (my favourite subject) were constant tragic disasters.  It was really depressing, yet fascinating at the same time.  My very favourite teacher, Mr Antwhistle in 6th grade referred to my having been overshadowed by stronger personalities, of which I have no recollection, but at the time I could barely speak English so that may have been part of the problem!  Anyway, my brother says, "throw it all out" but how could I?  That is my life in that box.  My dad's troubled life is in that box too but I've yet to pluck up the courage to read his journals from rehab....
On a brighter and cheerier note, I have discovered some music of my own this weekend.  Don't ever let anyone tell you I live under a ROCK but yes, I have just found out what Gotye IS and even better, what he sings!  I love this song...
And then, thanks to my Worldly Bro', I learned about Nikki Bluhm and her band, singing covers as they drive along and recording the whole thing on their iPhone!  She has SUCH a sensational voice.  Oh, I wish I could sing...

Okay, it's all GOOD. I have just "previewed" my blog post and it looks like everything is going to have the same appearance.  It's obviously just the draft that has changed.  Woopee!  

No comments: